This is an amazing initiative to reduce waste and at the same time make food available to people who need it the most.
This is the information from their website:
" The OzHarvest Market is Australia’s first ever rescued food supermarket, stocked with produce that has either been donated or would otherwise go to waste, but is perfectly edible. Based on a ‘take what you need, give if you can’ philosophy, our purpose is to make rescued food available to everyone, especially those who need it most.
The OzHarvest Market is a pop up marketplace, which is part of The Addison Project, TOGA and Qualitas’ youth shelter housing project at The Addison Hotel on Anzac Parade in Kensington, Sydney. It opened on April 19th and will remain open for as long as the site is available.
Our philosophy is ‘take what you need, give what you can’. If you can’t afford to pay and you’re in need of food, please take what you need. If you can give something, then please do; every dollar donated can help OzHarvest provide two meals to Australians in need."
How does it work?
- Pick up a shopping basket on your way in
- Fill it with a variety of nutritious foods – our volunteers are on hand to help
- Only take what you need so everyone can enjoy the food
- Head to the checkout area where a volunteer will help you pack your goods
- Make a small donation if you can
- Remember to bring your own shopping bag!
You can donate, volunteer or simply go buy your food at this fantastic place. There are many ways to do your bit your bit :-)